What
It
is pain in the needle in the corner of the hall.
The
ether of some vision that once stung you
with
hope, the kind that brings fever.
It
is the fire escape nobody knows of
that you hang tender plants in glass
baubles from the iron rungs.
baubles from the iron rungs.
The
tree in the middle of the tenement
city whose tiny lights pierce the fog every
night with a glittering code of love notes
for ships passing by, lonely, each one.
city whose tiny lights pierce the fog every
night with a glittering code of love notes
for ships passing by, lonely, each one.
Where
Holy
city of flames beneath the
log in the campfire.
log in the campfire.
The
great carved wall behind the unreachable
waterfall in the mountains.
waterfall in the mountains.
That
music box built into the innards of
an old piano in a storage locker.
an old piano in a storage locker.
Places
you hide your heart; places no one looks, and if they look,
no one sees.
no one sees.
Places
I only find, eyes closed, all else forgotten,
fingers on fire.
fingers on fire.
Places
worth climbing to, ascending
inch by inch.
inch by inch.
When
Now.
No—then.
The
night before.
A
day later.
Your
name was
written
for you
in
the book of life.
We
sat in silence,
we
left in silence,
we
aged in silence.
Not
now. Yes—then.
Another
year later.
Another
second before.
Why
You
tell me.
I
tell you fragments of the
story
that surely you know in full.
Mystery
loves me madly, and these vows
are
a wearying thing, wearing thin.
I
wonder that nothing is found.
I
wonder that you still appear only to wander
when
I know you battle by night; that you feel
the
pain of this want even as you march forward,
straight-backed.
As I crawl toward this sliver of light.
Who
The
only truth:
we
are to become.
And
love for this becoming
is
only grasped by the fools who wait.
And
wait. And—
You
are; this substance
is
held in cherished suspension, a notch
in
history pulsing blue fire.
I
am, and we
are
pulled from the river mud with
joy,
with pride. Even in the dregs of our slumber.
Put
aside these thoughts of ruin;
you
are here.

No comments:
Post a Comment