I have lived a very long time.
Enough to see your infinite cunning.
I will not list the ways of the
unlistable.
Instead there is geometry.
The schematics of every breathing
machine
in all creation, diagrams
undecipherable by
all who depend on every tiny part
working.
Only the science fools me, so I
perform it.
In galleries. When the small crowd
is gone and
only cement floors and white walls
see me as I am.
You and your many wires, many knobs,
many tubes of salvation—the sound of
living
things passing one another,
breathing in unison.
The sound of airwaves rolling over
lies
to reveal the very first creation
story.
The sound of mythology winning
the very last debate, the sound still
hijacking every sense that all is
lost.
The howl of pages turning in the
hurricane, of
alphabet soup exploding into War & Peace
by chance.
These sounds.
All because of the flurry
of your invisible fingers.
You trick winter into summer into winter,
and none of us knows what hit them.
Why any oak spreads wings over
the city floor is beyond me.
I cannot guess your next move.
You lead me into underwater caves
in search of a hidden library.
Rewrite my history, make me
wait out the invisible roar.
Bombs hit all the wrong landmarks,
and that is how aliens read
our
gorgeous hieroglyphics from afar.
We never understand your play.
You pull back all the tracks
but
one, and that is our life story.
We never hear that classic rock
masterpiece
all heaven hears on a Sunday
afternoon.

No comments:
Post a Comment